Colin (@colinbendell) is passionate about mobile performance, user experience and data. He is co-author of High Performance Images, speaker, researcher, writer and developer at Cloudinary. Previously, he was part of the CTO Office at Akamai, managed Infrastructure and Operations at a Uranium mining company and owned a automotive wheel repair shop.
Link Unfurling Engines: Quality, Flavor And Brewing Techniques
Most of our web traffic is generated from the usual suspects — Chrome, Firefox, Safari and Edge. Yet there is a segment of browsers that are heavily responsible for attracting new customers to our sites. In absolute terms, these microbrowsers account for a small number of hits, but are simultaneously directly responsible for over 80% of new “direct” visitors to our websites.
Microbrowsers all have different capabilities and can adopt widely different layout and rendering in the link unfurl preview. In this session, Colin Bendell will explore how microbrowsers work and how to go beyond the typical push-marketing style of Twitter/Facebook previews and provide richer and more engaging content.
We will discuss:
- Performance implications of microbrowsers.
- Best practices for markup and layout for previews — including images and video content.
- How to track conversion and impact without compromising privacy.
- How to combine the dynamic aspects of the CMS and webpages into link previews.
Tools and Setup
To join Smashing TV webinars, please install the Zoom client for Meetings, which is available for all the main OSs. It may take a little time to download and install, so please grab it ahead of time if you can. If you are a Smashing Member, please sign in first. Once you did, return to this page, and you should see a webinar URL.
We run practical sessions every week. No fluff, just actionable techniques and strategies for building and designing better experiences. Here are a few recent ones:
- All About Icons
Marc Edwards on Oct 20, 2020 .Recording available.
- Accessibility With(out) Priorities
Chen Hui Jing on Sep 1, 2020 .
- End-to-end Testing With A Real Browser
Umar Hansa on Aug 13, 2020 .
- Getting Projects Out The Door Faster And Less Painful
Kristina Podnar on Aug 6, 2020 .
- Inspired Design Decisions With Bradbury Thompson: Type Can Be A tool, A Toy, And A Teacher
Andrew Clarke on Jul 28, 2020 .
- Enterprise Accessibility
Jerome Hardaway on Jul 21, 2020 .
- Inspired Design Decisions With Emmett McBain: Art Direction As Social Equity
Andrew Clarke on Jul 2, 2020 .