GDPR cookie consent prompts, push notifications, app install prompts, video autoplays and annoying pop-ups. Every time we enter a new site, it feels like a fight against all the annoying marketing messages endlessly streaming at us. If you’ve wondered why a product you looked up in a search engine one day keeps showing up in all your social channels over and over just a few hours later, that’s the power of data collection and retargeting at play. We can do better than that though.
In this session, Vitaly will be exploring privacy UX patterns, techniques, strategies and important decisions to consider when designing and building privacy-aware websites and applcations. You’ll walk away with a toolbox of applicable techniques, privacy nightmares and a few notes on how to keep your website/app GDPR-compliant and privacy-focused.
- Privacy-related design patterns and good practices.
- How to improve notifications and pop-ups.
- How to ask sensitive questions (birthday/gender etc.).
- Holistic business considerations and metrics for privacy-related features.
- How to design better cookie prompts and permission requests.
- What’s next in privacy in light of CCPA and GDPR/ePrivacy regulation.
Tools and Setup
To join Smashing TV webinars, please install the Zoom client for Meetings, which is available for all the main OSs. It may take a little time to download and install, so please grab it ahead of time if you can. If you are a Smashing Member, please sign in first. Once you did, return to this page, and you should see a webinar URL.
We run practical sessions every week. No fluff, just actionable techniques and strategies for building and designing better experiences. Here are a few recent ones:
- Accessibility With(out) Priorities
Chen Hui Jing on Sep 1, 2020 .
- End-to-end Testing With A Real Browser
Umar Hansa on Aug 13, 2020 .
- Getting Projects Out The Door Faster And Less Painful
Kristina Podnar on Aug 6, 2020 .
- Inspired Design Decisions With Bradbury Thompson: Type Can Be A tool, A Toy, And A Teacher
Andrew Clarke on Jul 28, 2020 .
- Enterprise Accessibility
Jerome Hardaway on Jul 21, 2020 .
- Inspired Design Decisions With Emmett McBain: Art Direction As Social Equity
Andrew Clarke on Jul 2, 2020 .
- Inspired Design Decisions With Giovanni Pintori
Andrew Clarke on Jun 4, 2020 .