The Web of Things — The Story Of A Browser Escaping Into The Physical World
WebUSB & Web Bluetooth are two of the most interesting additions that browsers received in the past years, as they allow web applications & PWAs to break out of the browser and enable the user to interact with the real world, so we’ll take a closer look at:
- Printing to receipt printers from within the browser.
- Steering a bluetooth lightbulb.
- Downloading data from an Android device.
- Understanding how those APIs work in general & which use cases already exist.
Tools and Setup
To join Smashing TV webinars, please install the Zoom client for Meetings, which is available for all the main OSs. It may take a little time to download and install, so please grab it ahead of time if you can. If you are a Smashing Member, please sign in first. Once you did, return to this page, and you should see a webinar URL.
We run practical sessions every week. No fluff, just actionable techniques and strategies for building and designing better experiences. Here are a few recent ones:
- Smashing Audit Live #3
Vitaly Friedman on May 4, 2021 .Recording available.
- Smashing Audit Live #2
Vitaly Friedman on Mar 23, 2021 .Recording available.
- Smashing Audit Live
Vitaly Friedman on Feb 18, 2021 .Recording available.
- All About Icons
Marc Edwards on Oct 20, 2020 .Recording available.
- Accessibility With(out) Priorities
Chen Hui Jing on Sep 1, 2020 .
- End-to-end Testing With A Real Browser
Umar Hansa on Aug 13, 2020 .
- Getting Projects Out The Door Faster And Less Painful
Kristina Podnar on Aug 6, 2020 .