Smashing Magazine’s primary goal is to deliver quality content for the Web development and design community. If you have valuable tips, tricks, ideas or techniques to share, then you’re more than welcome to write for us and help provide others with solid articles and useful insights.
This online guideline will provide you with all the information you need to help you get started with your article. Please carefully consider articles recently published on Smashing Magazine: this is the level of quality we expect from you.
Further Reading on SmashingMag:
- A Look Inside Smashing Magazine1
- 50 Free Resources That Will Improve Your Writing Skills2
- Behind The Scenes: Interview With Our Writers3
- Don’t Follow Web Design Trends: Set Them!4
Key Points To Every Article
Sharing practical examples are important. After reading the article, our readers should not only have gained new insights and ideas, but also know how to actually implement these insights and ideas in practice. Also, we want you to share your expertise with us, mistakes you’ve made, things you’ve learned throughout your career and things you wish you had known earlier. The more practical your tips, techniques and ideas are, the better.
Also, don’t be afraid to express your own opinion. When sharing your statement, please make sure to provide a link to the sources that support your claims. Our ultimate goal is to engage members of the design community in meaningful design discussions — not flaming ones. Last but not least, be concise, and don’t exaggerate; for example, “absolutely awesome!” and “the coolest feature I’ve ever seen!” doesn’t quite fit Smashing Magazine’s objective style.
Details About The Process
We aim for exciting, creative articles that also cover recent developments within the industry. Writing does take time, but substance is more important than length, and we do not have any submission deadlines.
The time involvement is very important to us to keep and improve the high quality of our online publications. We have over 120 experts in various fields of expertise who help maintain the high quality of the articles published on Smashing Magazine.
All of our authors get paid. The amount of money depends on the length of the article and its quality. Before your articles go live, we make sure that both sides agree upon the publishing and payment conditions. You may, of course, also put a link to your website in the “About the author” section in the article.
Sound Good? Drop Us a Message!
Based in Freiburg, Germany, Smashing Magazine works with writers from all over the world. If you’re interested in writing for us, please make sure to have read our Publishing Policy65 once again and use our contact form7 to get in touch with one of our editors.
Please include the following:
- Please include URLs to any articles or examples that show your skills (please don’t send large attachments — just URLs if possible,
- Include 2-3 concrete suggestions for topics you’d be interested to explore and write about (please outline the key points that you’d like to raise and discuss in your article and the structure of it),
- If you happen to have a rough draft ready, feel free to send it over in plain text, markdown or HTML format.
We’re always glad to make new contacts and explore new possibilities. We would be very happy to welcome you on board of our Smashing team!
- 1 https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2012/09/look-inside-smashing-magazine-6th-anniversary/
- 2 https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2009/06/50-free-resources-that-will-improve-your-writing-skills/
- 3 https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2010/07/an-interview-with-some-smashing-authors/
- 4 https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2008/11/dont-follow-trends-set-them/
- 5 https://www.smashingmagazine.com/publishing-policy/
- 6 https://www.smashingmagazine.com/publishing-policy/
- 7 https://www.smashingmagazine.com/contact/?Becoming%20an%20Author/Reviewer%20(Autoresponder)