Further Reading on SmashingMag: Link
- A Guide To Building SVG Maps From Natural Earth Data1
- Tools And Resources For Editing, Converting And Optimizing SVGs2
- CSS Grid, Flexbox And Box Alignment: Our New System For Web Layout3
- When 24/7/365 Fails: Turning Off Work On Weekends4
- I rarely recommend conferences here, but this free online conference might be interesting for some of you: Sustainable UX5, with topics on doing meaningful, sustainable work.
Concept & Design Link
- Google and Monotype created a full typeface for all the world’s written and spoken languages: Noto86.
Web Performance Link
HTML & SVG Link
- This guide to making SVG maps with MapShaper11 shows where to find geographic map resources, how to modify them, and, finally, how to export and use them as SVG.
- Mike Riethmuller shows that SVG has more potential12 than we tend to think and how it provides clever solutions to everyday use cases.
- Heydon Pickering wrote the probably shortest and smallest CSS grid framework possible: Fukol14, a Flexbox grid that weighs in at only 93 bytes.
- Matt Hinchliffe explains how CSS grid layout will change the way we develop layouts15.
Work & Life Link
- I wrote a medium-length piece on how important it is to take proper vacation time regularly18 to relax your body and mind.
- This week is Geek Mental Health Week, and I feel it’s important to listen to the stories that people who suffer from mental problems have to tell. Sarah Parmenter, for example, shares her experience of losing her mum and her grandparents19 and how she looked for professional help to improve her situation.
- Bastian Allgeier shares his thoughts on why you should choose tools that fit best into a project and that you feel confident working with20 instead of considering frameworks and tools just because they’re cool.
- “Why’s that company so big? I could do that in a weekend21” is something we tend to say easily when we look at a company’s product and its team. But Dan Luu shares why we think that way and why we’re wrong.
Going Beyond… Link
- Farhad Manjoo sums up how Mailchimp succeeded as a company22 and how they built a sustainable business model without any venture capital and without following the usual start-up path.
And with that, I’ll close for this week. If you like what I write each week, please support me with a donation23 or share this resource with other people. You can learn more about the costs of the project here24. It’s available via email, RSS, and online.
- 1 https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2015/09/making-svg-maps-from-natural-earth-data/
- 2 https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2016/04/tools-and-resources-for-editing-converting-and-optimizing-svgs/
- 3 https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2016/11/css-grids-flexbox-and-box-alignment-our-new-system-for-web-layout/
- 4 https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2010/11/when-24-7-365-fails-turn-off-work-on-weekends/
- 5 http://sustainableux.com/
- 6 http://www.itsnicethat.com/news/google-monotype-noto-type-family-061016
- 7 http://www.itsnicethat.com/news/google-monotype-noto-type-family-061016
- 8 http://www.itsnicethat.com/news/google-monotype-noto-type-family-061016
- 9 http://www.itsnicethat.com/news/google-monotype-noto-type-family-061016
- 11 http://simplemaps.com/resources/guide-to-mapshaper
- 12 https://madebymike.com.au/writing/svg-has-more-potential/
- 13 https://hyperform.js.org/
- 14 https://github.com/Heydon/fukol-grids
- 15 http://maketea.co.uk/2016/09/28/css-grid-layout-is-a-step-change.html
- 16 http://maketea.co.uk/2016/09/28/css-grid-layout-is-a-step-change.html
- 17 http://maketea.co.uk/2016/09/28/css-grid-layout-is-a-step-change.html
- 18 https://helloanselm.com/2016/enough-vacation-time/
- 19 http://www.sazzy.co.uk/geek-mental-health-week/
- 20 https://bastianallgeier.com/notes/pressure
- 21 http://danluu.com/sounds-easy/
- 22 http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/06/technology/mailchimp-and-the-un-silicon-valley-way-to-make-it-as-a-start-up.html
- 23 https://wdrl.info/donate
- 24 https://wdrl.info/costs/